Coconut oil bursted onto the scene a few years ago and hasn’t left the spotlight since. Known for its amazing health benefits, this oil is commonly used by many people for cooking, baking, haircare, skin care, and all around good nutrition. Have you ever thought to infuse coconut oil with cannabis? We’re here to teach you how to make cannabis infused coconut oil, and we promise it’s easier than you think!
Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Contains fatty acids
The fatty acids in coconut oil can encourage your body to burn fat, and they provide quick energy to your body and brain. They also raise HDL (good) cholesterol in your blood, which may help reduce heart disease risk.
Protects your skin, hair, and teeth
You don’t just have to eat coconut oil to reap the benefits. Many people use it for cosmetic purposes. Studies show that coconut oil can improve the moisture content of dry skin and reduce the symptoms of eczema. Another study has shown that it may work as a light sunscreen in your hair, blocking about 20% of UV rays. Oil pulling, which involves swishing coconut oil in your mouth like mouthwash, may kill some of the harmful bacteria in the mouth.
How To Make Cannabis Infused Coconut Oil
- 1 cup or 7-10 grams of ground cannabis flower
- 1 cup of coconut oil
- Strainer or cheesecloth
- Double-boiler, slow cooker, saucepan, etc.
- Grind up the cannabis. Don’t grind it up too small, as the tiny particles may be hard to remove from the oil.
- Combine oil and cannabis in your double-boiler, slow cooker, or saucepan and heat the two together on low or warm for a few hours. This process is known as decarboxylation, when the THC becomes activated. The cooking can be done a few different ways. Slow cooker on low for 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally; in a double-boiler on low for at least 6 hours (8 is ideal), stirring occasionally; or in a simple saucepan on low for at least 2-3 hours, stirring frequently (a saucepan is most susceptible to scorching). In all cases, a small amount of water can be added to the mixture to help avoid burning. Please make sure the oil does not reach over 245 degrees F for any of these methods.
- Strain through the cheesecloth and store the oil. Do not squeeze the cheesecloth! Doing so will only add more harmful chemicals to your oil. Discard the old cannabis. The oil can be stored for at least 2 months on the shelf, longer in the refrigerator.